19 Mar 2008

Nigel Tart writes on combatting homophobia


Nigel Tart admits freely that being 'Mr Tart' is not always a good thing as a teacher, I had a pint or two with him on the saturday of Green Party conference in Reading, he is an active member of Brighton Green Party and the GReen Party LGBT network and definately one of the party members with a sense of humour.

As a parent and a teacher I am used to having to challenge a bit of casual negative use of 'gay' so I was pleased to see his letter in the Guardian today flagging up the work of schools out. Some interesting comments on how employers can be part of the problem and the solution.

right must stop blogging bad for my back but I am getting more cheerful...another trip to Heatherwood Hospital next week...famous for the filming of the carry on films, if I was really sick well hey...



Your story on homophobia in schools makes sadly familiar reading. The government think they've ticked the gay box by publishing guidance on homophobic bullying. The guidance itself is excellent, but most teachers don't even know it exists. It's not statutory, so most schools will ignore it.

Before I came out in the classroom, I dreaded challenging homophobia and transphobia. It put me on the spot, because other teachers let it go. I don't really blame colleagues. None of them had any training, and there was no cultural leadership from headteachers.

Five years on, after two homophobic sackings, one tribunal and one attempted ABH, I've finally found the right school, with a supportive headteacher. I still hear some awful language, but students are starting to apologise if they think they've offended me. How long will it be before every education worker feels safe enough to come out?
Nigel Tart
Schools Out (schools-out.org.uk)

1 comment:

merrick said...

The classroom is the place were homophobia seems to have its strongest outpost.

The good news is that this needn't be so, as Johann Hari spells out in this article

Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles

Derek Wall ’s article entitled  Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles , argues that Ma...