22 Apr 2010
NICK CLEGG IS GREEN?
And what of Mr Clegg personally? Well, he has fiercely condemned the influence of lobbyists as part of the "old politics" and called for "reform on lobbying". But he has been distinctly coy about his own two past spells as a lobbyist, leaving them off his official biography on the Lib Dem website. Most interesting and recent is Mr Clegg's high-level stint, in the middle of his political career, with GPlus, the influential and controversial Brussels company.
Peter Guilford, GPlus's founder, explicitly pitches his firm as the place for organisations with "a real problem affecting their reputation". Its clients have included the Malaysian Palm Oil Council, whose plantations are accused of contributing to tropical deforestation (GPlus argued for a relaxation of EU regulations to allow more palm oil imports)
Green Nick Clegg? Well one of my real non Green Party green political heros is of course lib dem Lord Avebury who did a splendid job supporting my friends Aidesep in the Amazon....however I am not convinced that the party as a whole is ethically sourced and green to go...
They certainly produce some tasty leaflets, classics being all green leaflets that look like they are from the Green Party telling people not to vote Green. Here are 7 things you may not know about the Lib dems claims to be the Green Party.
1) This ongoing myth about being against the Iraq War - the Lib Dems weren't against the war, they wanted to see a UN resolution authorising the war. If Bush/Blair had secured that, through outright bribery and arm twisting at the UN Security Council, what would have happened then?
2) They posture on Trident (delivery of nuclear weapons), but their policy is to retain half of the UK's nuclear weapons.
3) Lib Dems are only investing £3 billion as part of a green jobs package, not the £44 billion that Greens want as part of a 1 million jobs programme.
4) They talk about public transport, but Lib Dems are in favour of privatised trains.
5) They talk about local control, but they are in favour of PFI (taking public services and locking them away from public control for 25 year contracts).
6) Lib Dems speak in favour of congestion charging nationally, but are against it in Edinburgh, Manchester and York.
7) It's the same on wind farms, airport expansion, and incineration.
Just had this via Roger Hallam of Vote No Heathrow, please spread the word. Things are rapidly taking off for the campaign now the hung...
My friend Mehmet Aksoy was killed by Isis in Raqqa, Syria on 26th September this year. He had been working as a journalist and comm...
(Photo from Newroz, a year or two ago!) Statement from Jeremy Corbyn on Afrin On Saturday's # DefendAfrin demonstration ...
The Philosophy of Marx By Etienne Balibar (translated by Gregory Elliot and Chris Turner) Verso, 2017 240 pp., $38.95 Etienne Ba...