7 Dec 2010
Goldsmith Library occupation
Went to work to find the students have occupied the library, Wonderful, makes me proud of the students here, please spread the work, occupy, resist, educate, is the slogan!
please spread the word
GOLDSMITHS OCCUPATION STATEMENT
We have occupied the university library in opposition to the increase in university fees and cuts in education as a whole. We act in solidarity with all those facing cuts across the social sphere.
We oppose the proposed change in fees structure and the cuts to teaching subsidy across education in the UK – which will include a 100 percent cut to funding for teaching in arts, humanities and social sciences.
We have taken over Goldsmiths’ Library, the most publicly visible and accessible physical space in the college. We are opening it as a centre for organisation, available 24 hours a day to students and all those on the receiving end of the government’s assault in the Lewisham community. We offer our support to recipients of the EMA grant, benefits and services, all of which are being attacked by local and national government. We support library staff at Goldsmiths and public libraries across Lewisham.
The proposed changes in Higher Education represent a historically unprecedented attack on society. In response, we have taken the exceptional step of deciding that no staff shall work in the library building, although students are welcome to come and join us. Until our demands are met, there will be no business as usual at the college.
We act to support and intensify the efforts of all those involved in the nationwide wave of occupations.
We demand that Goldsmiths’ management:
• Immediately make a public statement opposing fees and the vote for their increase due in parliament on 9th December. We refuse all current and further cuts at Goldsmiths.
• Implement no further cuts to departments and budgets at Goldsmiths, nor any further redundancies.
• Steps forward to defend all those from Goldsmiths arrested or in other ways victimised during the current struggles against the cuts. We condemn the police’s violent and heavy-handed tactics used against students, staff and their supporters.
• Do not penalise library staff in any way, nor dock their pay during the occupation
• Ceases its campaign of cuts against the Goldsmiths Nursery.
• Retract their threat to charge Goldsmiths’ Student Union £15,000 in response to the occupation of Deptford Town Hall. This occupation, like that one, is independent of the Student Union.
• Do not take any disciplinary actions whatsoever against those involved in this occupation
Just had this via Roger Hallam of Vote No Heathrow, please spread the word. Things are rapidly taking off for the campaign now the hung...
My friend Mehmet Aksoy was killed by Isis in Raqqa, Syria on 26th September this year. He had been working as a journalist and comm...
(Photo from Newroz, a year or two ago!) Statement from Jeremy Corbyn on Afrin On Saturday's # DefendAfrin demonstration ...
Sat at a computer in the library, I am aware that the woman looking at the screen next to me is becoming increasingly agitated. ...