18 Mar 2011

'I like America and America likes me'



And I like Joseph Beuys, he died in the 1980s, a Green Party radical, he believed in art as political performance.

Highly controversial but always fun in my humble.

Went to see the Tate exhibition of his stuff way back from which this description comes.

I have changed the video, also some of the indigenous references are a bit cheesy, I just think this looks and sounds beautiful, enjoy.....the other video was basically Beuys getting into an ambulence (less fun) but you can click here if you like.



Beuys’s most famous Action took place in May 1974, when he spent three days in a room with a coyote. After flying into New York, he was swathed in felt and loaded into an ambulance, then driven to the gallery where the Action took place, without having once touched American soil. As Beuys later explained: ‘I wanted to isolate myself, insulate myself, see nothing of America other than the coyote.’ The title of the work is filled with irony. Beuys opposed American military actions in Vietnam, and his work as an artist was a challenge to the hegemony of American art.


FROM


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Beuys

No comments:

Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles

Derek Wall ’s article entitled  Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles , argues that Ma...