28 Jun 2008

Green Left Steering Meeting

GreenLeft steering committee, Minutes of meeting of Monday 2nd June 2008, QEH cafe, Southbank.



1. Attendance: Sue Bineham, John Henry Marvin, Joseph Healy, Pete Murry, Sarah Farrow, Farid Bakht, Derek Wall, Andy Hewitt, Tim Summers.
2. Apologies for absence: Sean Thompson, Payam Torabi, Cllr Romayne Phoenix, Jane Ennis, Sue Tibbles.
3. Co-options: John Henry Marvin was co-opted to the Steering Committee, Tim Summers also as GL Secretary. Payam Torabi is invited for co-option, (not as NHS rep).
4. Population policy: Joseph reported from GPex that a second, amended draft of population policy by Nicola Watson has been circulated, but was unlikely to be included in the agenda of Autumn Conference. Instead, Brian Heatley will chair a conference Population Policy fringe meeting open to all points of view. Meeting discu ssed and approved 3 items of policy towards this discussion: to reject a population target, for eco-friendly housing stock according to need, and to consider the "push and pull" factors of migration.
5. Migration Policy: a conference motion will propose that GPEW adopts the European Green Party paper on Migration (agreed at GL/AGM), and Joseph will organise a fringe meeting on Migration with Theresa Hayter and a Dutch Green as speakers. GPTU offered to host this fringe.<\li>
6. Zionism and "anti-Semitism": a small pro-Zionist group will propose a motion to Autumn Conference that GPEW shares no platform with representatives of �anti-Semitism� e.g. Palestine Solidarity Campaign, recognises the state of Israel to exist, and to regard Zionism as a respectable ideology. GreenLeft must mobilise opposition and hold a conference fringe with Simon Lynn of the Jewish Socialist Group to speak (a title for our fringe needs devising).
7. Minimum & Maximum Wage policy: a Conference motion in favour by Sean Thompson is likely to be rivalled by a policy for a "local living wage".
8. Socialist Resistance Conference, Saturday 28th June 08, 10.30-4pm at ULU, Malet St. Joseph will speak on European Green Parties and Sian Berry has also been invited, other speakers from Portugal and Die Linke. GL attendance encouraged.
9. Socialist Party Conference, Sunday 29th June 08 at ULU will propose their campaign for a "new workers´ party". Everyone except the SWP has been invited. GL attendance is encouraged.
10. National Officers: discussed
11. Leader & Deputy Leader: discussion favoured the commissioning of the Election Reform Society to conduct the GPEW elections of GPex and leaders, at a likely cost of £2,000. GL must draft a motion and use its minutes,discussion list and blog to populise this proposal. Tim will promote dissatisfaction with GPRC´s validation of the recent Leadership Ballot, at the next meeting of the London Federation on 16th June.
12. GL Finance: Sue, Treasurer reported current funds at �£285 and reminded supporters to join GL at an annual subscription of £5 each, before the deadline of October 2008.
13. Any Other Business:
1. Pete will circulate a draft for a GL leaflet by blog.
2. Derek reported the evening at the Cuban Embassy and the invitation to GPEW and GL to visit Cuba ( by flight) next year. The Cuban government´s ecological self-sufficiency,its intentions to hold democratic elections and to end state homophobia were noted with approval, and a GL policy of critical support for Cuba was agreed nem con.
3. GL will hold its eve of conference fringe meeting on Thursday 4th September 08 at Birkbeck College or Bolivar Hall, London. Derek will seek a panel of speakers, the Venezuelan Ambassador and representatives of the Cuban Embassy and Socialist Resistance and he will speak on the work of Hugo Blanco. The event must be publicised in London´s Latin-American press.
4. GPTU Conference, 12th July 08 at Friends´ Meeting House, Ship Street, Brighton BN1 1AF, £8/4 concs, speakers Caroline Lucas MEP, Tony Kearns (CWU) and workshops.
5. GPTU will circulate its motions on the boycott of arms shipment to Zimbabwe and support for NUT/UCU.
6. Tolpuddle Martyrs´ Rally, Dorset on Friday 18th July 08, Derek to speak, attendance encouraged.
7. Royal Festival Hall level 2 is a good London venue for future GL steering committees.
8. The 2009 Ecosocialist International conference may be held in London.
14. GreenLeft next General Meeting on Saturday 9th August 08 at Sarah´s pub, Headcorn, Kent.
15. Questions: can GL have another Summer Camp soon, a General Meeting in Manchester this winter and a Scottish GL?
16. The Meeting Closed-

EDITED GL/SC Minutes of 2-6-08 recorded by Tim Summers, secretary 020 7737 6289.

2 comments:

Alan Howe said...

6. Zionism and "anti-Semitism": a small pro-Zionist group will propose a motion to Autumn Conference that GPEW shares no platform with representatives of "�anti-Semitism� e.g. Palestine Solidarity Campaign, recognises the state of Israel to exist, and to regard Zionism as a respectable ideology. GreenLeft must mobilise opposition and hold a conference fringe with Simon Lynn of the Jewish Socialist Group to speak (a title for our fringe needs devising)."

As a signatory to that motion I challenge you, Dr Wall, to provide evidence that I am "pro-Zionist".

I also challenge you to provide evidence to support your "intepretation" of that motion.

I recommend that anyone reading this post should read the motion before reaching any conclusion based on Dr Wall's description.

Raphael said...

This comes from the Green Left discussion list (on which I am not) but was posted by mistake on the GP general discussion list;

"Now any basic anti-racist understanding means that when a [???] person alleges racism, then you have to take that seriously [...]. The last thing
anyone on the left should do is dismiss the allegations out of hand, etc."

I applaud this. Guess what, it did not refer to antisemitism.

Raphael