11 Feb 2010
just got this from Tim, tragically I have another engagement but please support if you are in London
Tar What Now?
Lend an ear to our First Nations indigenous sisters and brothers in revolt, and pay heed to their passion, anger and wisdom:
• Athabasca to Copenhagen
» video, 3:49 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vfa6qwKgw
• Allan Lissner's movingly poetic photo/video montage of the Tar Sands protest outside the Canadian Embassy in Copenhagen, Denmark, during the COP15 Climate Conference. The protest was led by the Indigenous Environmental Network. Speakers: Mother & daughter Susan and Eriel Deranger from the Athabasca Chipewan First Nation, just downriver from the Tar Sands oil projects in Alberta, Canada.
The Canadian Tar Sands Oil-ympics – The Race to the Tar Sands is On!
• Saturday, February 13, 2010, 12:00-14:30
• Canada House, 5 Trafalgar Square, London, SW1Y 5BJ
Saturday is the opening day of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada. That’s right, it’s time for the Oil-ympics, and you can participate! All you need to bring is ‘sports clothing’ (winter if possible) and a sense of mischief and fun. Attendees will be divided into three oily teams: ‘BP’, ‘Shell’ and ‘RBS', all ready to ‘Race to the Tar Sands’ Ever tried curling? Come along and and help sweep out BP, Shell, and RBS as they all race headlong into the Tar Sands.
» Facebook event info – http://fb.me/event.php?eid=289288529354
» Street View / Map – http://tinyurl.com/CH-SV-map
» Transport for London Journey Planner – http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk
» Transport Direct Route Planners – http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/JourneyPlanning/Home.aspx
• Indigenous Peoples of Canada March on Canadian Embassy in Copenhagen to Protest Tar Sands
• Democracy Now! report by John Hamilton
» video, 8:17 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-4XeO_k0s
• The Indigenous Environmental Network - Canadian Indigenous Tar Sands Campaign
» website – http://www.ienearth.org/cits
A short walk up Haymarket (650 m, 8 minutes) to the Eros statue at Piccadilly Circus will bring you to...
Posted by Derek Wall at 1:32 pm