I had a chat with David Davies at the channel 4 politics awards but I didn't think it would result in this, David Cameron efforts to out flank us on difficult policy continue.
I really thought I had them on Sea Shepherd but the suggestion that David smoked cannabis at school is a new frontier, I only went to a comprehensive and they were too cheap skate to give us cannabis... only at Eton I guess, so I can't honestly compete on this one.
shocking more here
What next is the shadow cabinet going to head for Radley lakes spliff in hand or appear with Paul Watson disrupting the whalers (I would keep a clear head for this chaps and chapesses...you might fall off and have to be rescued from the icy waters or get eaten by giant squid).
More seriously, sad to say the conservatives on Oxfordshire County Council rejected plans to save the radley lakes...
For our decriminalising policies see below. (note cannabis cafes are out because of no smoking in public places)
Short Term Policies
* Re-legalise cannabis without further delay. Dutch 'coffee shops' or ‘pot pubs’ system to be permitted.
* In the short term recreational drugs, such as speed and ecstasy, would be decriminalised.
* No advertising or sponsorship for any drug (alcohol, tobacco or any other).
* Treat heroin addiction as a health issue and not a crime problem.
* We would ensure immediate funding for research into Ibogaine and its ability to interrupt opiate addiction without the withdrawal effects.
* We would also repeal Public Entertainment (Drugs Misuse) Act (the Barry Legg Act) which has held Back to news harm reduction in clubs.
Medium Term Policies
* In the medium term we aim to take the drug trade out of criminal control and made available in a legal environment. The supply and profits of drug use should not remain in criminal hands. The details of how this system should be regulated and licenced will be decided by a Royal Commission, but the supply and profits of drug use should not remain in criminal hands.
* Prohibition does not reduce cannabis use by young people. A study of use of cannabis by 15 year olds= shows that in Holland, 29% have used it. Yet in the UK, 41% of 15 year olds have used cannabis. (Source: Dutch Institute of Health and Addiction, Council of Europe ESPAD Report, 1995 [Last available year.])