3 Aug 2007
Had this from Rising Tide who a direct action orientated movement against climate change, George Marshall is one of the leading lights...interesting to read that they have signed up to the Peoples Global Action approach, a movement kicked off in Mexico by the Zapatistas.
Rising Tide UK adopts the PGA Hallmarks
Submitted by F on 16 July, 2007 - 16:51.
As of May 2007, following discussions at our 2007 National Gathering, the UK Rising Tide network has adopted the Peoples’ Global Action Hallmarks.
Peoples’ Global Action (PGA) is a network for spreading information and coordinating actions between grassroots movements around the world. These diverse groups share the same opposition to capitalism, and commitment to direct action and civil disobedience as the most effective form of struggle. PGA grew out of the international Zapatista gatherings in 1996 and 1997, and was formed as a space for direct and un -mediated contact between autonomous groups.
1. A very clear rejection of capitalism, imperialism and feudalism; all trade agreements, institutions and governments that promote destructive globalisation.
2. We reject all forms and systems of domination and discrimination including, but not limited to, patriarchy, racism and religious fundamentalism of all creeds. We embrace the full dignity of all human beings.
3. A confrontational attitude, since we do not think that lobbying can have a major impact in such biased and undemocratic organisations, in which transnational capital is the only real policy-maker.
4. A call to direct action and civil disobedience, support for social movements' struggles, advocating forms of resistance which maximize respect for life and oppressed peoples' rights, as well as the construction of local alternatives to global capitalism.
5. An organisational philosophy based on decentralisation and autonomy.
For more information about PGA, including history and organising principles, click here
Posted by Derek Wall at 2:48 pm