22 Feb 2009

Jerry Hicks update 'desperate people resort to desperate measures'


We have, as all of us hoped succeeded in generating the debate and discussion about our union and what it does well, what it does badly and most importantly what it should be doing in these accute times of crisis. So from that point of view we have already won.


I think this paragraph sees it, what ever the result Jerry has raised internal union democracy, the tough fight for jobs during recession and even questions of ecology...however he might even win which would be even better....here is his update


From Jerry Hicks: At the end of the first week, a quick update on the campaign so far to date.

I have had an amazing response from around the country with so many fantastic people helping me whilst visitng workplaces, attending and speaking at meetings, leafleting and joining various demonstrations. So far I have aslo managed to find a bed/settee for the night/s when stopping over!.

But for all the miles and work that I have done I know that many people having been doing 10 times that amount and I would like to thank everyone for the enormous effort that is going into our campaign.

The web site visits have gone through the roof with lots of offers of help, messages of support and details of stuff being done.

We have, as all of us hoped succeeded in generating the debate and discussion about our union and what it does well, what it does badly and most importantly what it should be doing in these accute times of crisis. So from that point of view we have already won.

However there are, as we predicted twists and turns and we did say 'expect the unexpected'. When the ballot papers were issued included with them was a statement from the NEC accusing me of some inaccuracies in my election address.

I have never officially been informed of the decision that was taken to do that nor given the right of reply and I may be forced to complain in due course. I can say that it appears to be backfiring on who ever was behind this move. I have also answered all the points on my web site www.jerryhicks4gs. All I can say on this matter is 'desperate people resort to desperate measures'.

If there is anything that I can do to assist you in any way do not hesitate to contact me, I am away from hame alot lately and will be for the next coupleof weeks , whilst emails get forwarded there can be a delay so telephone is a better way to get hold of me right now on 078 178 279 12

There is in my view no clear front runner in this election but I am aware that the difference in the things that we are saying and doing especiaaly in our election address when compared to those addresses of the other candidates is having a very positive impact.

There is absolutely all to play for and everything to be gained by doing what we do best and that is getting our message / materials / leaflets out to the memberhip so they can make an informed choice.

We have not got the union machine to do that or big money behind us but we have got determined supporters.

'Keep on keeping on' Jerry Hicks.

No comments:

Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles

Derek Wall ’s article entitled  Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles , argues that Ma...