15 Jul 2010

'WHAT THE HELL ! CORREA IS CRIMINALIZING PROTESTERS'

The frontline of the fight against climate change is the Peruvian Amazon and the people there are putting up a huge fight to stop the destruction of the rainforests.

They have some varied and interesting supporters including the priest Paul MacAuley, my good friend and ex-Fourth International leader Hugo Blanco and a Hollywood actress Qorianka Kilcher. Over the border in Ecuador the 'leftist' President Correa has been attacking indigenous protests against oil exploration, yes I know things in Peru are ten times worse and Correa is part of a wider progressive movement but his actions make me angry. They also make Qorianka Kilcher angry, I have just seen this mispelt but heartfelt statement from her.

I personally have met this Mr. President Correa , when he was first voted in as the president of Equador.....

there were lots of festivities and Lots and Lots of young and old Indigenous Leaders and supporters...

It SEEMED that there was a genuin air of hope and it was clear that Correa had alot of Indigenous Support... why... well it must have been because of his "smoothe Words"....

Leave the Oil in the ground and etc sweet talk....

Hell, I will confess, I even adopted one of his lines he used in one of his elaborate wonderful speaches..." Some things dont have a price, They have Value" !

Yes, its not my line... I adopted it from Correa, because it is a true and wonderful fact.

In every speach I have ever given I use this line....and I try to always think, live and act according to the meaning of this sentence....

Sadly Correa has made a mockery out of all the many indigenous supporters and their hopes for justice... I feel bad, because I to , rather liked the man for a couple seconds...... and now I feel embarrassed that I did cheer for him.....

HOWEVER, it is up to the people who voted for this man to hold him accountable for his sweet words and hold him accountable to be the man they voted for.

So... taking it on the streets and having citizen voices heard is absolutely nescessary and in line with what should be expected from a president who seet talked indigenous Peoples to support his climb to power....

So WHAT THE HELL ! CORREA IS CRIMINALIZING PROTESTERS, calling people terrorists and .... well read on.... and do your research....

and for Correa, .... grrrrrrrr !!!!

I will keep using your line , while speaking out against YOU !

xoxo, Q'orianka Kilcher


Now read this article Written by Jennifer Moore
A New Wave of Criminalization Against Social Movements in Ecuador
Wednesday, 14 July 2010 17:51
Ecuador's anti-mining and indigenous movements are denouncing renewed attempts by the Correa Administration to criminalize dissent. Over thirty people, including top leaders of the national indigenous movement, are being investigated for allegations including terrorism and sabotage as a result of their participation in protests related to controversies over gold and copper mining, as well as water and indigenous rights.


No comments:

Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles

Derek Wall ’s article entitled  Imperialism Is the Arsonist: Marxism’s Contribution to Ecological Literatures and Struggles , argues that Ma...